Thursday, May 7, 2009

Fun For Kids

A friend of mine created a "Fun 4 Kids" blog last October:

http://amy-fun4kids.blogspot.com/

She's so clever. She's a former Early Childhood Educator and now stay-at-home mom.
She started this blog to share activity ideas with other young moms.
Here's an excerpt from her blog re her purpose in creating the blog:

"Interactive Literature Activities are my favorite preschool activities because it helps children learn to love books.
What this means is to choose a book and plan an activity that relates to the book, to extend their learning. Normally I will post a specific book and an activity to go with it.
During holiday times there will be lots of book ideas and activities to choose from. Most often the activities will be art projects, but not always.
Remember that with any early childhood activity, the emphasis should be about the process of doing the activity and not about the outcomes.
As hard as it might be, try to resist fixing and doing things for them and let them create on their own. The photos are just visual examples and not meant to be "cookie cutter" copies."


I've thoroughly enjoyed using her blogsite as a resource for enhancing my kids' understanding and enjoyment about the topics we read about.
It's helped me be a better, more creative & fun mom.
She's taking a "summer vacation" of sorts and hopefully will be posting again in the Fall.
But now that I've got a good handle on how to do the whole kid-activities-to-coincide-with-theme-of-books thing, I can create my own summertime reading inspired activities.

Her book themes start around Halloween and follow through to Eastertime.
That's about right for the inclimate weather months and our need to have lots of indoor activities available for our kiddos.

If I can, when I find good summertime book themes & craft ideas to coordinate, I'll share them with you.
Here.
On this site.
Well, at least until Amy gets up and running again.
Hope this helps you have more fun with your little kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment