Friday, May 15, 2009

The Power of Positive Parenting


When my husband and I were just getting started with the whole parenting thing, a good friend of ours recommended this book:

The Power of Positive Parenting
by Dr. Glenn I. Latham


There weren't any copies in our library, so she let me borrow her book for a day (she couldn't spare it any longer) so I could browse through to see if I liked it.
I loved it.
I immediately bought a copy from Amazon.

"This book is written for parents who care enough to learn the skills necessary to raise children well in these difficult times.
It is more a manual than it is a book; hence, it must be read, then reread, then read some more. Wide margins have been provided for note taking. Use it as a tool with which to build your family."


I really love the principles and easily applicable techniques provided in this book.
It truly is a "wonderful way to raise children".

The essence of this book is found in the following statement of Dr. Sidney W. Bijou:

Research has shown that the most effective way to reduce problem behavior in children is to strengthen desirable behavior through positive reinforcement rather than trying to weaken undesirable behavior using aversive or negative processes.

-The International Encyclopedia of Education, 1988


I really love this book.
It addresses pretty much everything.
There are sections on all types of behavior from toddlers up through teenagers. Sections on Fussy Babies, Hate & Anger, Lying & Stealing, Thumb Sucking, Toilet Training, Sibling Rivalry, Helping Children Achieve in School, Substance Abuse, even a section entitled "When All Else Fails".

Within the chapters, he gives realistic scenarios with actual conversations played out with examples of what to do/say and what not to do/say.

I love this book.
I need to refer to this and reread this book so much more often than I do.
But I'm glad I'm posting about it today, so I can renew my study skills so I can be a better, positive parent.

I hope you take the time to check out this amazing resource out there for parents. Trust me, it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment